Thursday, September 11, 2008

Training Camp

After the wedding gig, I spent a few days in the Faroes and then flew back to Copenhagen, Denmark. I met with my parents and went with them to their summer house. I brought my digital kit with me and did a lot of practicing there. As there is no internet connection there, I was basically incommunicado and had very few opportunities to check email, post videos, and participate in discussion forums. To get online, I had to bring my PC to the library, which was a 20 minute drive, so it was not something I wanted to do every day.

Instead, I did a lot of fundamental drum practice such as rudiments, standard grooves, and prepared for the next gig, which will be in Spain a week from now. I am leaving Denmark on the 17th of September and will be back here around 22nd or so. We are going to play with our band at the HeepVention 2008. On the first night, we will play 4 or 5 Uriah Heep covers as a band. On the 2nd day, we will be in a jam band, where each musician will play a number of songs with other musicians. In other words, all the drummers, bassists, guitarists, and so on will be shuffled around in an attempt to let everyone play with everyone.

I am really looking forward to the jam-part because who knows how good the other guys are? In one song, you may be playing with rock stars; in another, you may be playing with amateurs... That's fun because there is no way of knowing what will come out of it. Of course, I expect the majority of musicians to be somewhere between intermediate and pro, so I am sure that it will be OK. Still, if someone is having a hard time, the other guys will help him (or her) through. It is all about having fun.

I have been thinking about some new videos on YouTube but have not yet decided on what to make. I may have time to release one or two clips before I go, but I can't make any promises. However, after the gig in Spain, I am going to post more clips. I will be making more drum covers but I feel that it is time for some instructional videos. I am thinking about drum lessons but I really don't feel like doing that same thing all the other drum teachers do.

For that reason, I have been toying with a few ideas and will probably settle for a series of videos called "Groove Studies" or something similar where I build, analyze, play different grooves and variations of them. I have a few ideas from my practice camp, but nothing specific planned yet. In terms of hardware, I may have to make some sort of investment in order to both talk and play and everything at the same time. This has to do with limitations of my current equipment.

No comments: