Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Islands in the Stream

I decided to make one more country video before going to Spain. I decided to drum along with Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. The reasons for choosing this particular song were threefold:
  1. I really like the song.
  2. The original drum track is great.
  3. I want a few country songs on my channel.

At first, the drums seemed very simple and in fact, they are. However, being such a tight and controlled groove, it is very hard to play it in a relaxed and accurate manner. I did a few test recorings (audio only) and managed to play the song perfectly (without the camera) but in the end, I could not manage to play it perfectly on the published clip. I only practiced it for an hour or two before shooting this version but it is tiresome to play the song over and over. Had I waited a day to record the release version, I would have made it perfect. I simply wanted the video out so I settled for the result I had.

The song became a major country hit after its release in 1983. To the best of my knowledge, the Gibb brothers wrote it but I do not know whether they have ever recorded a version of the song themselves.



I hope you enjoy it and foregive me for not being perfect. I am not a professional drummer, although I do get paid to play.

No comments: